The Big Picture
Benefitting from a 1727 land grant by Charles Calvert, 5th Lord of Baltimore and governor of the Province of Maryland, the Holmead family created their 70 acres-plus Pleasant Plains estate. In the 1860s, one Samuel Brown sub-divided much of this land, renamed as “Mount Pleasant Village.” The neighborhood has seen numerous demograpic shifts: streetcar-commuting upper-echelon government employees at first, followed over the decades by a shifting mix of cultural diversity. The neighborhood was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
Located in Ward 1, Mount Pleasant is bordered by Piney Branch Parkway to the north, 16th Street to the east, Harvard Street to the south, and Rock Creek Park to the west.
McPherson Square: 20-25 minutes by bus
National Zoo: 15 minutes by foot
McLean: 25 minutes by car
Buses: 42, 43, H2, H3, H4, H8, S1, S2, S4, S9
Bikeshare Stations: 4
Columbia Heights (Yellow, Green): 5-15 minutes by foot.
A Special Place
Nicknamed "A Village in the City," Mount Pleasant in fact feels like several villages: small and bustling Mount Pleasant Street, adjacent apartment and condo buildings, and the sloping western section of beautiful rowhouses and even a few detached homes. While the neighborhood lacks its own playgrounds or corner parks, all of Rock Creek Park beckons from just down the hill.
It's true: Actress Helen Hayes, Washington Senators pitcher Walter Johnson, and US Senator Robert LaFollette all lived their homes in Mount Pleasant.
home sweet homes
The large western section of the area comprises mainly rowhouses and detached homes (some subdivided); a few of the original 19th-century wood-frame houses remain, mostly north of Park Road. The eastern edge of Mount Pleasant, along Sixteenth and Mount Pleasant Streets, is marked by mid-rise apartment buildings.