The Big Picture
Before "Foggy Bottom," there was the small town of Hamburgh, which German immigrant Jacob Funk began subdividing from 1765. By the 19th century, breweries, glass plants, and the city's gas works dominated the area, bringing a flood of laborers living in crime- and disease-ridden alleys. The 20th century witnessed slow but steady renewal. Alley structures were dismantled; other houses were rehabilitated and rented at comparatively high rates; and industrial installations such as the West Station Works and the Heurich Brewery were replaced by the Watergate complex and the Kennedy Center, respectively. George Washington University has grown significantly over the past decades and now covers much of the neighborhood.
Located in Ward 2, Foggy Bottom is bordered by K Street and Pennsylvania avenue to the north, 17th street to the east, Constitution Avenue to the south, and the Potomac River to the west.
McPherson Square: 10 minutes by metro
Union Station: 20 minutes by metro
Arlington National Cemetery: 10 minutes by metro
Buses: 30N, 30S, 31, 32, 33, 36, 38B, 80, DC Circulator
Bikeshare Stations: 17
Farragut West, Foggy Bottom - George Washington University (Blue, Orange, Silver)
A Special Place
Dominated by George Washington University, federal and international institutions and several embassies, Foggy Bottom is a neighborhood where people often work far harder than they play. Housing is relatively limited, but the location is central, and delightful pockets of historic charm are scattered throughout.
It's true: While the name "Foggy Bottom" captured the ambiant riverbank fog and industrial smog of the 19th century, part of the area was also known as “Round Tops,” the name of a well-known street gang.
The "Stock Market"
Queen Anne and Richardson Romanesque Revival rowhouses on the numbered and lettered side streets; condos and apartment buildings most everywhere else.